[R] Response to R across the university

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Apr 18 18:42:19 CEST 2008

Antony Unwin wrote:

> The course itself went very well.  We encouraged people to bring their
> laptops and work in groups.  Using JGR as the interface to R helped a
> lot, as it was easier for people to load their own data and use the
> help.  Of course, JGR is compulsory in Augsburg.

Speaking of JGR... What are the appropriate channels to complain and/or
contribute? I had looked into it at an earlier point (on Fedora Linux)
and got stuck on some fairly simple usability issues, like font choice
and color scheme. Things like

- if you select a bigger font, the window size remains the same. Changes
to window size do not survive to subsequent invokations.

- output is quite unreadable in proportional fonts, so why make them
available?

- some fonts have poor contrast, but there seems to be no way to select
boldface versions.

- the latest version has turned to a blue-on-gray scheme, which doesn't
help with the contrast either

This is all pretty trivial stuff, but the bottom line is that all the
really exciting stuff isn't really of much use if students cannot read
it in the back rows.

A couple other maybe not all that trivial things to do is to improve the
data import (it is losing out on most of the things that I tried) and to
get the wires connected between the DataTable and the edit() command.

    best
    -pd