[R] Embedding fonts in pdfs

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Apr 18 21:49:10 CEST 2008

hadley wickham wrote on 04/18/2008 02:40 PM:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having problems embedding fonts in my graphics - and I've tried
> embedFonts to no avail.  I have a pdf file and pdffonts tells me:
>
> name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
> ------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
> ZapfDingbats                         Type 1            no  no  no       5  0
> Helvetica                            Type 1            no  no  no      10  0
>
> (both before and after running the gs script).  From reading the
> documentation, I suspect that these aren't being embedded because they
> are standard PS fonts, but my publisher (lulu.com) wants them
> embedded.  Does anyone have any hints?

Have you tried using the Cairo package? For instance, I just helped one
of our users here at Vanderbilt to embed 'Gill Sans MT' (because
apparently it's required by some journal) into her PDF graphic, like so:

CairoFonts(
     regular="Gill Sans MT",
     bold="Gill Sans MT:style=Bold",
     italic="Gill Sans MT:style=Italic",
     bolditalic="Gill Sans MT:style=Bold Italic"
)
CairoPDF(file="file.pdf")
dev.off()

Also, Preview or even Acrobat reader (or xpdf) should reveal in the
"Properties" of the pdf file whether or not your desired fonts are embedded.

Best,

Jeff
--
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/JeffreyHorner