[R] Scaling in predict.prcomp

Gad Abraham gabraham at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Apr 20 08:36:51 CEST 2008

Hi,

Say x.train is a matrix of covariates that I want to do PCA on, so I can
do regression on its principal components, and x.test is a test set of
the same covariates on which I want to evaluate the regression fit. I
would like the covariates to be centred and scaled:

p <- prcomp(x.train, center=TRUE, scale=TRUE)
x.train.pc <- predict(p)

Now I want to get the PCs from the test set. Should I use the same
center and scale vectors from the training set:

x.test.pc <- predict(p, newdata=x.test, center=p$center, scale=p$center)

or use the training set's own centers and scales:

x.test.pc <- predict(p, newdata=x.test, center=TRUE, scale=TRUE)

Thanks,
Gad

--
Gad Abraham