[R] Re ad From EXCEL

Erich Neuwirth erich.neuwirth at univie.ac.at
Sun Apr 20 11:17:45 CEST 2008

To transfer data from Excel to R you have a least 3 options.
RODBC is platform-independent. You can use it to read Excel files
on any platform where you have an ODBC driver for Excel installed.

xlsReadWrite is available only on Windows. It has a function read.xls
which reads data from Excel worksheets into data frames or matrices.
It does not need Excel installed.

RExcel (available through package RExcelInstaller on CRAN)
needs Excel. Among other things, it allows you to select
a range in Excel and transfer it into R through operations
available on additional Excel menus. RExcel not only allows data
transfer, it also allows you to use R function in Excel macros and even
in Excel worksheet functions.

RExcel (and related software) has its own website at
http://rcom.univie.ac.at. It also has its own mailing list
which can be reached through this website.

--
Erich Neuwirth, University of Vienna
Faculty of Computer Science