[R] Problem with object inside a function

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Apr 20 21:57:50 CEST 2008

On 20/04/2008 3:04 PM, Ronaldo Reis Junior wrote:
> Em Dom 20 Abr 2008, Duncan Murdoch escreveu:

>>> Hi Duncan,
>>>
>>> thanks for your quick reply. I think that is not the problem, because
>>> with glm or lm the formula inside the new.form work, only on update it
>>> dont work.
>>>
>>> But I try this solution, I put new.form enclosed in an environment:
>>>
>>> environment(new.form) <-
>>> environment(as.formula(gsub(qvar,"qvartemp",as.expression(mma$formula))))
>>>
>>> But the error is the same.
>> Of course it is.  That operation does nothing, since the value of
>> new.form was already
>> as.formula(gsub(qvar,"qvartemp",as.expression(mma$formula))).
>>
>> If you want any more help, you're going to have to provide a
>> reproducible example.
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
>
> Duncan,
>
> sorry, I dont understand how to make this.
>
> I send for you a full code with an example that work and other that dont work.

This is a little more complicated than I thought.  The problem is that
update() uses the environment of the old formula, and ignores the new
environment.  So you need to sneak your qvartemp into visibility in the
old formula:

       new.form <-
as.formula(gsub(qvar,"qvartemp",as.expression(mma$formula)))
       environment(mma$formula) <- new.env(parent =
environment(mma$formula))
       environment(mma$formula)$qvartemp <- qvartemp

       print(new.form)

       mmaa <- update(mma,new.form)

This appears to work.  It looks ugly; I don't know if there's a cleaner
way to achieve what you want, i.e. to update a formula to use a variable
that's defined locally in a function.

Duncan Murdoch