[R] problem in caluclaring the multiple regression

Tom Backer Johnsen backer at psych.uib.no
Mon Apr 21 10:53:28 CEST 2008

man4ish wrote:
> I am trying to calculate the regression for the follwing input data stored in
> 'data.txt' file.I am reading this and storing it in the variable i .then i
> am trying to get the predicted value using f1 as dependent and others
> f2....f10 as independent variables.It is giving the following error. Also i
> want that i shoul get one predicted value for each row(y). What should i do.
> Please help me out i will be thankful to you.
>
> i<-read.table("data.txt",header=FALSE)
>         V1 V2 V3 V4 V5 V6 V7 V8 V9 V10 V11
> 1 molecule f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 f6 f7 f8  f9 f10
> 2       m1  3  7  0  3  0  0  0  1   1   1
> 3       m2  2  7  0  2  0  2  0  1   0   1
> 4       m3  0  0  0  3  0  0  0  3   1   0
> 5       m4  3  7  0  1  3  0  0  0   0   1
>
>  attach(i)
> out<-lm(y~x1+x2+x3+x4+x5+x6+x7+x8+x9+x10)
> Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : object "y" not found

The explanation for the error message is trivial, there are no variables
in the data frame with the names you specify in the call on lm ().  The
first row in the frame contains what probably are the intended names ..
as data.  Use header=TRUE in the read .table.  On the other hand there
are several other problem as well, the contents of the dependent
variable as well as the number of dependent variables compared with the
number of rows in the frame.

Tom