[R] Documentation General Comments

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 22 02:03:25 CEST 2008

The root of the problem is that R is a voluntary/cooperative project
and those
who develop and maintain R are (generously) contributing their time and
probably have little-to-no time left over to devote to the
improvement of the
documentation.

The generic answer to such a dilemma is that those who see
deficiencies in
R or in its documentation should volunteer to remedy or contribute to
the
remediation of those deficiencies.  But there is a problem.

Those of us who see deficiencies often (usually?) simply don't
***know***
enough to undertake the remediation.  This is particularly true in
respect
of inadequacies of documentation.  If we knew enough to improve the
documentation
we probably wouldn't have been motivated to whinge about the deficiency
in the first place.

An ``obvious'' solution to this dilemma is that us bunnies should
privately
seek tutelage from gurus who do know enough and then when we have
properly
understood the issues, pass on our learning by re-writing the
documentation.
This is a good theory, but doesn't really work in practice.  The
gurus are
usually too busy to provide tutelage --- it would probably be less
time consuming
for them to write the documentation themselves.  More problematic
still is
that if you ask a guru for more explanation the guru will, more often
than
not, get very grumpy and tell you to stop wasting their time.  After
all, the
situation is very clear to *them*.  They understand the existing
documentation
perfectly --- why don't you?

This is why the documentation tends to be opaque in the first place.
The
people who build R are so clever and understand so much that they cannot
put themselves in the shoes of those of us who are not so blessed with
intelligence and erudition.  So they (often) write terse cryptic
instructions
which (often) depend on background knowledge that many of us lack.  That
background knowledge can of course be found ***if you know where to
look***
--- or even if you don't, given that you are prepared to put in
sufficient
time and effort searching ***and*** are clever at searching.  It's that
last requirement that leaves *me* out in the cold.

So what's the solution?  Short answer --- there probably isn't one.
My take
on it is ``Give up and go to the pub!'' :-)

		Rolf Turner