[R] Documentation General Comments

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Apr 22 18:53:47 CEST 2008

On 4/22/2008 11:46 AM, Dr. Jeff Miller wrote:
> Bert,
>
> I don't think the documentation in of itself is the core of the problem
> presented in the original post about this. The problem is one of
> organization. I commented about it possibly being time for an exhaustive R
> Guide (similar to those huge books put out for commercial software) that
> compiles all available documentation. Most importantly, it would have a
> cross-referencing feature. The documentation files have a See Also file but
> they are incomplete and/or obsolete. In my case, I was exacerbated that it
> took over an hour just to find the libraries needed to fully reproduce
> output from SAS PROC FREQ. And, I thought, "Wow, I could have just written a
> function."  But, why do that when the info is out there?  It just needs to
> be more readily and easily accessible.
>
> But, now getting to the proposed solution of "then do something about
> it"...are there any legal issues?  It would be time-consuming but not that
> difficult to put help files online that are duplicates of the existing help
> files with the exception that additional See Also terms are included.
> Original text in an author help file would not be edited or deleted without
> author permission.

R is released under GPL, so if you make changes to the documentation,
you should also release those under the GPL (or something compatible).

> Another benefit is that other links could be added. For example, the
> existing help files have an Examples section but more could be done with
> this. Links could be provided for annotated examples or to other websites.

If you do this, try to do it in a way that makes it easy to import your
changes back into the main distribution, and to import changes from the
main distribution into your docs.  I'm not sure the best way to do that
if you don't have write permission on the main repository (so you could
just work on a branch), but surely this is a well-solved problem.

One of the reasons that the core group may seem unresponsive to
suggestions of changes to the docs is that they usually require quite a
lot of work to incorporate.  (They are usually incomplete, sometimes
inconsistent, sometimes inaccurate.)  If you reliably provide patches
that are complete and accurate and they consistently improve things,
then you'll find us much more receptive of them.

Duncan Murdoch