[R] Modeling presence only data in R

Clément Calenge calenge at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Wed Apr 23 16:50:50 CEST 2008

Actually, the ENFA (function enfa, in the package adehabitat) is not
really suitable for modelling environment suitability maps (though it is
still useful to discover the patterns of the ecological niche with
presence-only data). However, the package adehabitat also contains other
functions allowing this kind of modelling: the Mahalanobis distances
(function mahasuhab) and their factorial decomposition (function madifa)
could be a useful approach. See:

Calenge C, Darmon G, Basille M, Loison A, Jullien JM. (2008) The
factorial decomposition of the Mahalanobis distances in habitat
selection studies. Ecology, 89, 555-566.

and references therein. You may also consider the GNESFA, a
generalization of the MADIFA/ENFA approach (see the function gnesfa and
references therein). Other commonly used approaches are also available
in adehabitat.
Best wishes,

Clément Calenge.

--
Clément CALENGE
Observatoire des galliformes de montagne