[R] Documentation General Comments

Beck, Kenneth (STP) Kenneth.Beck at bsci.com
Thu Apr 24 17:12:19 CEST 2008

OK I've spent a lot of time with the core documentation, and I never
found anything as simple as their table 2.1, which elucidated the
difference between a vector, matrix and array first, then the higher
level structures, frame and list.  Maybe I'm not a good searcher, but
believe me for every initial posting I submit to this group, I have
spent hours trying to find the answer elsewhere. And, as you state,
maybe I am now deluded by that presentation, maybe it is not this
simple!

Look at the help for data.frame. VERY terse explanation, with not a good
comparison to the other data types. Then, look at the titles list. Where
is a topic for "data types" Every other programming language I have used
(C++, Pascal, SAS, Java) has a basic chapter in the documentation that
goes over data types, what arrays are, higher level structures, etc.
When I typed help.search("data type") I get the following:

Help files with alias or concept or title matching 'data type' using
fuzzy matching:
character-class(methods)
                        Classes Corresponding to Basic Data Types
sqlTypeInfo(RODBC)      Request Information about DataTypes in an ODBC
                        Database

Looking for the term "character-class(methods)" yields nothing. I don't
think that is what I want!

Given all this complaining, I actually have completed several nice
project using "R", it is an impressive package. Somehow, though, we need
to make the documentation better.