[R] alternatives to RColorBrewer?

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Thu Apr 24 21:03:40 CEST 2008

Achim Zeileis <Achim.Zeileis <at> wu-wien.ac.at> writes:
> However, I guess that it will be hard to select a qualitative
> palette with 18 distinct colors...I couldn't imagine a plot where it would
> be sufficiently easy for humans to decode that. But maybe you can combine
> that with some sequential or diverging palette or so?

I slightly disagree here. In many cases, in color-coded surface plots, you do
not want to attribute the colors to, let's say, altitudes, but rather use the
color transitions as contour lines without explicitly drawing contours. You
could also use continuous colors, but it is amazing how this fails, while
something like 25 colors looks good.

Dieter