[R] why R doesn't recognize my file?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Apr 25 00:49:30 CEST 2008

tzsmile wrote:
> i want to read a txt file "weekly". this file is in d:/my documents
> i tried the following
>  a<-read.table("d:/my documents/weekly", sep=" ", header=TRUE)
> but get the following error:
> Error in open.connection(file, "r") : unable to open connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> cannot open file 'd:/my documents/weekly', reason 'No such file or
> directory' in: open.connection(file, "r")
> why?

Perhaps it has a filename extension, which Microsoft in their infinite
wisdom is suppressing?

The easiest way to open a file in windows is to use file.choose() in
place of a specification of the filename.  It will return a correct
filename, which read.table can use, i.e.

read.table(file.choose(), header=TRUE)

or

f <- file.choose()
read.table(f, header=TRUE)