[R] Lists of data.frame

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 02:39:01 CEST 2008

I think this is what you want.  You need to look at the help file for
?'[' and ?'[['.  Also understand the differences between a data.frame
and a list.  in the case of defining qn you need to use a list and not
a data.frame because here is what happens with a data.frame:

> q1 <- data.frame(q=d1, n="a")
> str(q1)
'data.frame':   1 obs. of  3 variables:
 $ q.x: num 1
 $ q.y: num 2
 $ n  : Factor w/ 1 level "a": 1

Which is probably not want you want.  So the following should give you
the results you want

>  d1 <- data.frame(x=1, y=2)
>  d2 <- data.frame(x=1, y=3)
>  d3 <- data.frame(x=21, y=3)
>

> q1 <- list(q=d1, n="a")
> q2 <- list(q=d2, n="a")
> q3 <- list(q=d3, n="a")
>

> v <- list()
> v[[1]] <- q1
> v[[2]] <- q2
> v[[3]] <- q3
> str(v)
List of 3
 $ :List of 2
  ..$ q:'data.frame':   1 obs. of  2 variables:
  .. ..$ x: num 1
  .. ..$ y: num 2
  ..$ n: chr "a"
 $ :List of 2
  ..$ q:'data.frame':   1 obs. of  2 variables:
  .. ..$ x: num 1
  .. ..$ y: num 3
  ..$ n: chr "a"
 $ :List of 2
  ..$ q:'data.frame':   1 obs. of  2 variables:
  .. ..$ x: num 21
  .. ..$ y: num 3
  ..$ n: chr "a"
> #access