[R] resolution (dpi) problem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 27 08:35:33 CEST 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk wrote:

> On 26-Apr-08 19:30:35, Chris Walker wrote:
>> I am using R 2.4.1 with Windows XP.
>>
>> I use the plot command in a fairly simple script and I use
>> the right mouse click on the plot and save as a postscript
>> file. I used the resultant file in a paper which was submitted
>> electronically. However, I get the following response from the
>> journal:
>>
>> Your manuscript has been unsubmitted because you failed to meet
>> the submission guidelines as indicated below:
>>
>> -Your figures must be submitted in TIFF or EPS format according
>> to the following minimum resolutions:
>>
>> 1200 dpi for black and white line art (simple bar graphs, charts,
>> etc.) 300dpi for halftones (black and white photographs) 600dpi
>> for combination halftones (Photographs that also contain line art
>> such as labeling or thin lines)
>>
>> Does anyone know how to produce the correct settings for the
>> journal (i.e.1200 dpi)?
>>
>> Thankyou
>> Chris W
>
> I'm about to swim in (for me) murky waters here, since I don't
> use R on Windows, so things may happen on that platform which
> I'm not aware of.
>
> But I just want to make general comments about PostScript and R.
>
> 1. R's postscript() device produces EPS, so that bit should
>   be satisfied.

Only if there is a single page in the file.  The help file says

    The postscript produced for a single R plot is EPS (_Encapsulated
    PostScript_) compatible, and can be included into other documents,

> 2. Normally, except when a graphic has been converted from a
>   bit-mapped format, a PostScript (or EPS) file does not
>   have any intrinsic resolution, so long as what it represents
>   is vector graphics (which includes the rendering of letters,
>   numerals, symbols, etc.). Any resolution applying to the
>   result when a PS/EPS file is displayed/printed depends on
>   the resolution of the "end device" (screen/printer etc.)
>   which does the rendering. In principle, PS/EPS has "infinite"
>   resolution (for instance, printing from EPS to photograpic film
>   using a laser beam could have resolution as fine as 100,000).

Actually, there is an intrinsic resolution since coordinates in the file
are recorded to a finite accuracy.  In R's case this is 0.01 bp, that is
7200 ppi (dpi is incorrect terminology for anything involving
halftones).

> 3. It is of course possible that the software generating the
>   graphic implements certain things as bit-maps in the first
>   place, in which case what goes in the PS/EPS file will
>   inevitably do the same.

Possible in general, but not in R's postscript() device (which is what
saving from the windows() menu uses).