[R] Documentation General Comments

baptiste Auguié ba208 at exeter.ac.uk
Sun Apr 27 15:55:57 CEST 2008

I believe in the great value of a Wiki for documentation purposes.
Perhaps one could imagine more discussions on this mailing list being
turned into a wiki entry?
I would rather like that personally: the information, references, and
possible solutions to a problem could all be summarized in one page,
with working examples, links and graphics. This format would have
some benefits over the mailing list archives (no attachments, several
pages, off-topic remarks,...), and would still allow for multiple
users contributions.
This may provide the right trade-off between structure and content
for an additional help resource.

Best regards,

baptiste

On 25 Apr 2008, at 15:53, Tubin wrote:

> I realize the R developers are probably overwhelmed and have little
> time
> for this, but the documentation really needs some serious
> reorganizaton.
>
> My reply:
>
> I'm quite new to R and so have spent a lot of time in the last few
> days
> reading documentation both online and text.  I'm incredibly
> impressed by the
> language and, overall, by the documentation - the documentation
> tools are so
> well integrated into the program, and in most cases the
> documentation does a
> good job of balancing brevity and completeness. The original poster
> noted a
> need for "reorganization" (not revision) and I think that's key.
> Several
> people have posted about potential projects in several threads - so
> I'll try
> combining those thoughts in a new response thread.

> necessarily
> reflect the structure of the language
> 2)  There's a lot of good documentation out there already, both
> official and
> unofficial
> 3)  It doesn't break intellectual property laws to create an
> "annotated
> bibliography" of existing references, with a task-based topic
> structure.
> 4) I suspect new and old users would contribute to such a project
> if it
> allowed external contributions - as in, suggest a resource (under an
> existing topic) along with a brief explanation about why that
> resource was
> helpful.
>
> Detailed comments:
>
> One thing I notice in the official documentation is that it's
> organized
> around the R language structure.  The "help" table of contents does
> include
> a listing of natural-language titles, but they're listed
> alphabetically
> rather than organized by task-based concept.
>
> But when you look at the forums, the new users are searching for
> information
> by task or by concept - what are the classes of object?  How do I
> manipulate
> a data frame?  What are my tools for regular expressions?  Many of
> my texts
> (and some independent web pages) seem to try to organize by task,
> but all
> are incomplete - perhaps because of space limitations, perhaps
> because the
> language is so dynamic that useful functions hadn't yet been
> developed when
> a text was published.  Also, most of my books actually only
> introduce the R
> language then move on to discussing the use of R for specific
> statistical
> [...]

Baptiste Auguié

Physics Department
University of Exeter