[R] R instalation on Ubuntu 7.10

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Apr 27 21:17:08 CEST 2008

On 27 April 2008 at 21:03, Jose Bustos Melo wrote:
| Hi everyone,
|
|   I'm trying to change the operative systems in the Lab Biology. Now We are using Ubuntu 7.10 and we are trying to install the R software.

[ I thin you mean 'operating system'. ]

|   Someone can send some step to do this instalation easy? Like for dummies, because we are so novice in this system.

With all due respect: if this "Linux" thing is new to you, you may want to
also get some local help from a local user group, as well as from a decent
book or two.

As to your question, R is well supported on Ubuntu. However, release 7.10
contains the then-current version 2.5.2.  Installing R on Ubuntu is no
different from installing any other (pre-built) package on Ubuntu.  You could
try any of the graphical package manager, search for 'r-base' and install
that.  Similarly, on the command-line, do

       $ sudo apt-get update
       $ sudo apt-get install r-base

If that does not work, get local help with the Unix side of things.  Specific
questions for R on Debian or Ubuntu can be posted on r-sig-debian (after you
subscribe to the list so that you can post), but please consider a basic
Ubuntu or Linux help list for questions more focussed on getting going under
Unix.

Once you are comfortable with your Ubuntu system, consider steps from the R
FAQ / appropriate CRAN/Ubuntu README to get current R versions for Ubuntu via
the CRAN mirrors (rather than Ubuntu itself).

Hope this helps, Dirk