[R] Applying user function over a large matrix

Ray Brownrigg Ray.Brownrigg at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Apr 30 00:18:50 CEST 2008

In addition to Tony's suggestion, have a look at the following sequence, which
I suspect is because the call to apply will duplicate your 1.5GB matrix,
whereas the for loop doesn't [I stand to be corrected here].

> x <- matrix(runif(210000), 21)
> unix.time({res <- numeric(ncol(x)); for(i in 1:length(res)) res[i] <-
sum(x[, i])})
   user  system elapsed
  0.079   0.000   0.079
> unix.time(apply(x, 2, sum))
   user  system elapsed
   0.10    0.01    0.11
> x <- matrix(runif(2100000), 21)
> unix.time({res <- numeric(ncol(x)); for(i in 1:length(res)) res[i] <-
sum(x[, i])})
   user  system elapsed
  0.791   0.010   0.801
> unix.time(apply(x, 2, sum))
   user  system elapsed
  1.096   0.011   1.107
> x <- matrix(runif(21000000), 21)
> unix.time({res <- numeric(ncol(x)); for(i in 1:length(res)) res[i] <-
sum(x[, i])})
   user  system elapsed
  7.825   0.011   7.840
> unix.time(apply(x, 2, sum))
   user  system elapsed
 15.431   0.142  15.592

Also, preliminary checking using the top utility shows the for loop requires
just over half the memory of the apply() call.  This is on a NetBSD system
with 2GB memory.

HTH,
Ray Brownrigg