[R] R isn't finding tcltk

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Apr 30 22:20:58 CEST 2008

John P. Burkett wrote:
> On a x86 machine operating under Gentoo Linux, I'm having persistent
> difficulty in getting R version 2.6.1 (the latest available through
> Gentoo's portage system) to use tcltk.  The R command library(tcltk)
> elicits the following response:
> Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
>   Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
> Error in library(tcltk) : .First.lib failed for 'tcltk'

Hmm, so Gentoo's all-singing all-dancing build system is "helping" you
install an obsolescent version incorrectly?

Can't you try building from plain sources? In particulat the output from
the configure step should be informative.

Usually, it is a -devel package  that is missing, e.g. on  Fedora  you
need not only

tk-8.4.17-2.fc8
tcl-8.4.17-1.fc8

but also