[R] Coefficients of Logistic Regression from bootstrap - how to get them?

Michal Figurski figurski at mail.med.upenn.edu
Fri Aug 1 19:52:40 CEST 2008

Dear all,

Your constant talking about what bootstrap is and is not suitable for
made me finally verify the findings in the Pawinski et al paper.

Here is the procedure and the findings:
  - First of all I took the raw data (that was posted earlier on this
list) and estimated the AUC values using equation coefficients of their
recommended model (#10). Though, I was _unable to reproduce_ the r^2,
nor the predictive performance values. My results are 0.74 and 44%,
respectively, while the reported figures were 0.862 and 82% (41 profiles
out of 50). My scatterplot also looks different than the Fig.2 model 10
scatterplot. Weird...
  - Then, I fit the multiple linear model to the whole dataset (no
bootstrap), using the time-points of model #10. I obtained r^2 of 0.74
(agreement), mean prediction error of 7.4% +-28.3% and predictive
performance of 44%. The mean reported prediction error (PE) was 7.6%
+-26.7% and predictive performance: 56% (page 1502, second column,
sentence 2nd from top)! I think the difference in PE may be attributed
to numerical differences between SPSS and R, though I can't explain the
difference in predictive performance.
  - Finally, I used Gustaf's bootstrap code to fit linear regression
with model #10 time-points on the resampled dataset. The r^2 of the
model with median coefficients was identical to that of the model fit to
entire data, and the predictive performance was better by only one
profile in the range: 46%. As you see, these figures are very far from
the numbers reported in the paper. I will be in discussion with the
authors on how they obtained these numbers, but I am having doubts if
this paper is valid at all...
  - Later I tested it on my own dataset (paper to appear in August), and
found that the MLR model fit on entire data has identical r^2 and
predictive performance as the median coefficient model from bootstrap.

I must admit, guys, *that I was wrong and you were right: this
bootstrap-like procedure does not improve predictions* - at least not to
the extent reported in the Pawinski et al paper.

I was blindly believing in this paper and I am somewhat embarrassed that
I didn't verify these findings, despite that their dataset was available
to me since beginning. Maybe it was too much trust in printed word and
in authority of a PhD biostatistician who devised the procedure...

Nevertheless, I am happy that at least this procedure is harmless, and
that I can reproduce the figures reported in /my/ paper.

Best regards, and apologies for being such a hard student. I am being
converted to orthodox statistics.

--
Michal J. Figurski
HUP, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine