[R] Overlay of simple plots

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Aug 2 10:51:51 CEST 2008

stephen sefick wrote:
> ?lines

Or ?points or maybe ?matplot. Notice that there are a couple of snags,
such as having to adjust graphical parameters in order to make room
enough on the plot. Most introductory texts on R and R graphics  cover
this, I think.

You can overlay arbitrary plots by setting par(new=TRUE) in between,
although that is almost always the wrong solution. (SAS's overlay
features are not worth cloning in my opinion. It will do things like
automatically set up a legend, but puts in funny restrictions: plotting
data and predicted values in the same plot is OK, plotting data by group
OK, data and predicted values by group not OK or at least not easy.)