[R] R and emacs

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Aug 4 13:01:18 CEST 2008

pir2.jv wrote:
> I wrote a "program"  truc.r with emacs
> In emacs, I start the buffer R, then I eval the buffer truc.r (C-c C-b)
> All is correct and I have my results.
>
> But, when I return to Console R, and make:
> > source ("truc.r"), I obtain an error:
> Erreur dans source("truc.r") :
>   invalid multibyte character in parser at line 1
>
> If I copy, line by line the instructions of the emacs buffer and put
> them in R console, all is correct.
>  ????

Sounds like encoding/locale confusion. Presumably, you have an accented
character in the file somewhere, but in a different encoding to what
source() expects. What is your platform?

Notice also that emacs sometimes switches encodings on the fly.

(Remember to follow up to the R-help, not to me. On some platforms,
there are things I Just Don't Know, and it is good practice anyway to
keep things on the list.)