[R] greek letters in "italic" font

Luis Tercero luis.tercero at ebi-wasser.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Aug 4 13:12:45 CEST 2008

Dear HelpeRs,

I am trying to write axis labels with some letters in cursive for later
inclusion in a LaTeX document. The following code does what I want with
latin letters (c cursive and the rest not cursive):

plot(1:10, 1:10, ylab = expression(italic(c)*(MB)))
or
plot(1:10, 1:10, ylab = expression(paste(italic(c)*(MB), "  /  ",
mu*g~L^{-1}))

but it does not work for greek letters:
plot(1:10, 1:10, ylab = expression(italic(rho)*(MB)))

Using text() or mtext() with the option font = 3 does not work either.

I found a way around this by writing "rho" and then having "rho" be
changed to the corresponding greek letter in LaTeX by using the PSfrag
package... but it only works for text(), not for mtext() nor xlab/ylab
within the plot() command.

I would be grateful for some ideas.

Many thanks and best regards,

Luis

--

Luis Tercero, M.Sc.

Engler-Bunte-Institut der Universität Karlsruhe (TH)
Bereich Wasserchemie
Engler-Bunte-Ring 1
D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel. +49 721 608 6381