[R] Are there any guis out there, which will allow editing of the graph?

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Tue Aug 5 09:16:03 CEST 2008

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley <at> stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Dieter Menne wrote:
>
> > Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >

> >> Microsoft Word's graphics editor can edit R graphics saved in
> >> metafile format, wmf.  That includes x axis labels, etc.
> >>

> > In theory, yes, in practice: not really. Vertical texts are horizontal after
> > editing, and clipped points may magically re-appear.
>
> Agreed (at least with Word <= 2003), but there are other emf editors which
> do work.  (I used to use a shareware one that is I believe now 'metafile
> companion'.  Mainly to check win.metafile output that Word garbled.)

To combat my superstition (never tried after Word 2003), I  did a short test
with a lattice/emf plot and Word 2007. Text rotation problem remains.

I also tried a lattice plot not generated by R directly, but from an R-generated
ps file and eps2emf. While the file looks good in Word when unedited, things are
worse after editing than with direct export: only text remains, graph is gone.

Dieter