[R] Mtext doesn't display characters in italic when I use a greek symbol

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Aug 7 10:12:40 CEST 2008

Following on from my previous mail!

plot(1:10,1:10)
mtext("title", side=3, adj=0, font=3, cex=1.5)

This works as expected and puts the font in italics.

tag <- "A)"
suffix <- "genea::"
plot(1:10,1:10)
mtext(bquote(.(tag) ~ Delta * .(suffix)), side=3, adj=0, font=3,
cex=1.5)

Here, the font isn't in italics, it's normal.

I presume this is some interplay with bquote(), or perhaps R doesn't
know the italics version of the capital greek delta character?

Any idea how I can get it into italics?

Thanks
Mick

Head of Informatics
Institute for Animal Health
Compton
Berks
RG20 7NN
01635 578411

http://www.iah.ac.uk/research/bioinformatics/bioinf.shtml

The information contained in this message may be confide...{{dropped:14}}