[R] Obtaining the first /or last record of a subject in alongitudinal study

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Thu Aug 7 15:36:36 CEST 2008

Had the same problem recently. I used a loop. Assume your data frame is
called "data" and your units of observation are "Subject".

first.round.index=NULL
final.round.index=NULL
for(i in unique(Subject)){
    first.round.index[i]=min(which(Subject==i))
    final.round.index[i]=max(which(Subject==i))
    }

first.round.index=first.round.index[is.na(first.round.index)==F]
final.round.index=final.round.index[is.na(final.round.index)==F]

##This gives you the row numbers for first, respectively last, observation
for each subject

##Then you can select the data rows of your data according to first- or
final.row.index, e.g.:

data.first.round=data[first.round.index, ]
data.final.round=data[final.round.index, ]

cuncta stricte discussurus