[R] LAPACK.dll and Excel with R 2.7.0

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 7 20:18:27 CEST 2008

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Chen, Zehao wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was building a R addin for Excel. I was able to build R.dll, export to
> Rdll.lib and wrap it in a Excel addin (.xll) format. Most basic
> functions work fine within Excel except functions that use LAPACK, e.g.
> eigen, solve etc. But if you use solve(..., LINPACK = T). That's fine.
>
> So apparently the problem is with loading the shared library
> ../modules/lapack.dll. I read one of the earlier threads on this issue

Most likely finding Rlapack.dll.

> with Rexcel with R earlier than 1.7.1. I am not sure if anyone has seen
> similar problem?

Yes, and the answer has been to ensure that the RHOME/bin directory is in
the path.  You don't need to do that for R itself because the directory
containing the application is one of the places searched for DLLs.

This is documented in 'Writing R Extensions', right there in the section
on 'Calling R.dll directly'.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk