[R] colouring a tree

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Fri Aug 8 13:43:31 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 16:15 +0300, Monna Nygård wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I would be very pleased if someone could help me, as I do not seem to get the different branches of my tree painted in different colours. The closest I get is colouring the names of my samples(=names of the branches). Here is the code.
> data <- read.table(file = "S://SEDIM//TRFLP//B12.5_50-700bp.txt" , as.is = TRUE, header = TRUE, sep = "\t", row.names = 1)#define vector with depths of samples

In order to run the example, we'll need some data, even if it is made
up.

I think you can get the values you want like this:

x<-ceiling(x/100)

> ...I need to change the tip.color into something else, but what?

> Even better would be if someone could help me changing the colours

> given according to the depth of the sample (according to how high

> a number I have given the samples in row.names), I mean getting

> darker as the samples get deeper etc.. Is there an easy way doing this?

If you want to make colors darker, you can do something like this:

darkenColor<-function(col,colorshift=0.75) {
 rgbmat<-col2rgb(col)
 ncol<-dim(rgbmat)[2]
 rgbmat<-rgbmat*colorshift
 return(rgb(rgbmat))
}

This will darker your colors toward black.

Jim