[R] Are there any guis out there, which will allow editing of the graph?

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Aug 11 19:13:59 CEST 2008

Just to add a couple more thougths to this thread.  If you go the xfig driver route, there are also the programs jfig and winfig that edit fig files and may be easier to install on some platforms (winfig may require a payment to get full use, but I believe jfig is free).

But you may want to think through the idea of editing the graphs rather than finding the commands to make R give you what you want.  I find that whenever I think I am doing a one-off plot/analysis and just do gui editing rather than writing a rerunnable script, more often then not I end up needing to rerun the code and need to remember how I edited the things by hand and end up wishing that I created a rerunnable script in the first place.

There are ways in R to use some form of gui to find values that look good, then put those into the commands to get the plot that you want.  For one example look at the dynIdentify or TkIdentify functions in the TeachingDemos package.

You could also use code like:

library(TeachingDemos)
tmpfun <- function(line, adj){
        plot(1:10, xlab='')
        title(xlab='My x-Label', line=line, adj=adj)
}
tkexamp( tmpfun, list(line=list('slider',from=0, to=5, resolution=.1, init=3),
        adj=list('slider', from=0, to=1, resolution=0.05, init=0.5)))

To find good values for placing an x-label, then run the function to create the plot with your positionioning in the graphics device of choice.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center