[R] gls and memory allocation

Dave Depew ddepew at sciborg.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 12 16:17:05 CEST 2008

Hi all,
A two part quick question regarding gls

1) I'd like to pass a formula to gnls from a gam(mgcv package). Is there
a quick way to do this? I tried using

 >gnls(gam$call$formula, data=df, correlation=AC1) but it keeps
outputting a message to the effect that I need x ~ y etc as the formula.
I realize now that the $formula part of the gam is only sending x ~ s(y)
and that this is probably the problem, but I cannot seem to find any
part of the gam object that would pass the smooth terms as part of the
formula. Any ideas or suggestions?

2) While running a gls with a rather large dataset (~ 13000 data points)
it cannot seem to allocate ~ 685 MB for the vector. I've got a 2G RAM on
windows XP (32 -bit I guess). I've cleared the memory as best I can, and
specified the max allowable in the target line (i.e. --max-mem-size =
2000MB) but still it does not want to run. Am I just running out of RAM?
or should R be able to handle that size vector, and I just need to clean
up the code?

Thanks,

Dave