[R] VAR question

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 20:10:59 CEST 2008

I presume that your problem is  in quantitative macroeconomics and
that your sample size is limited.  Are your variables stationary.  If
not you may need to use a VECM or if there is no cointegration work in
first differences.

My choice of variables would in the first instance be determined by
economic theory and the number of lags by an information criterion or
by testing down from a general model.  You might use Granger Causality
tests to reduce the model if necessary.   Otherwise a lot depends on
the properties of your model.

For forecasting purposes a BVAR might be a better solution.

Best Regards

John Frain