[R] ignoring zeros or converting to NA

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Wed Aug 13 04:33:31 CEST 2008

The help page for is.na()
is worth reading repeatedly.

[mailto:r-help-bounces at r-project.org]
> On Behalf Of stephen sefick
> Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:53 PM
> To: Charles C. Berry
> Cc: Mike Prager; r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
> Subject: Re: [R] ignoring zeros or converting to NA
>
> I have been reading this thread and I am having a hard interpreting
> what these mean.  I know that the result is that all of the values
> that are zero in a are replaced by NA.  Let me try and write it out
>
> is.na(a[a==0] ) <- TRUE
> you pull out of a all of the times that are equal to zero then is.na
> tests and returns false then all of the false values are set to true?

Not quite - the function 'is.na<-' needs an index vector
as input.  So my understanding is that all the values in 'a'
that are zero will have their value set to NA, because
R will replicate the TRUE (vector of length 1) to
a vector of length (sum(a==0)), this being the index vector.

> is.na(a) <- a==0
> make values in a NA  when a is 0?

Right.  a==0 generates a logical vector with length
(length(a)) with value 'TRUE' wherever 'a' has a
zero entry. 'is.na<-' will then set those entries to NA.
The entries where 'a==0' is FALSE will not have their
values changed to NA.

The version ' is.na(a[a==0] ) <- TRUE '
is doing the same thing, the logical index vector
for ' a[a==0] ' consists of all 'TRUE'.

HTH

Steve McKinney

<cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu>