[R] ignoring zeros or converting to NA

Roland Rau roland.rproject at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 17:23:20 CEST 2008

Hi,

since many suggestions are following the form of
x[x==0] (or similar)
I would like to ask if this is really recommended?
What I have learned (the hard way) is that one should not test for
equality of floating point numbers (which is the default for R's numeric
values, right?) since the binary representation of these (decimal)
floating point numbers is not necessarily exact (with the classic
example of decimal 0.1).
Is it okay in this case for the value zero where all binary elements are
zero? Or does R somehow recognize that it is an integer?

Just some questions out of curiosity.

Thank you,
Roland