[R] Determining cause of error?

rkevinburton at charter.net rkevinburton at charter.net
Thu Aug 14 14:51:04 CEST 2008

Now this is really specific. I think the cause of the error is a small sample size. For example. The following both fail:

fit <- fitdistr(c(120), "weibull")
fit <- fitdistr(jiitter(c(120,120), amount=0.5), "weibull")

As it is hard for me to control the sample size or the proximity of data values in the sample I was wondering how I can tell what the error modes for 'fitdistr' are? If I knew that 'fitdistr' will error out with a sample of of one or a sample of two values that are close then I could put a conditional statement an make a "reasonable" guess (something that I would expect 'fitdistr' to do). For example I could"

if(length(templist) > 1)
{
    fit <- fitdistr(templist, "weibull")
}

The problem is that I don't know all the possible error conditions. I know that having a sample size of 1 is bad and a sample of two "close" values is bad. Are there others?

Thank you.

Kevin