[R] Vectorization of duration of the game in the gambler ruin's problem

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 08:09:48 CEST 2008

Hi Jose,

If you are only interested in the expected duration, the problem can be solved analytically - no simulation is needed.
Let P be the probability to get total.capital (and then 1-P is the probability to loose all the money) when starting with initial.capital. This probability P is well known (I do not remember it now but I can derive the formula if you need - let me know). Let X(i) be the gain at game i and let D be the duration. Let S(n) = X(1)+...+X(n).
Since EX(i) = p - (1-p) = 2p-1, S(n) - n*(2p-1) is a martingale, and since D is a stopping time we get that E(S(D) - (2p-1)*D) = 0, so that (2p-1)*E(D) = E(S(D)) = P*(total.capital-initial.capital) + (1-P)*(-initial.capital), and so E(D) can be computed provided that p != 1/2.
If p = 1/2 then S(n) is a martingale and then by Wald's Lemma, E(S(D)^2) = E(D)*E(X^2) = E(D). Since E(S(D)^2) = P*(total.capital-initial.capital)^2 + (1-P)*(-initial.capital)^2, we can compute E(D).

Regards,

Moshe.