[R] Pdf file size for very scatter plots

Stephen Tucker brown_emu at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 22:52:11 CEST 2008

I thought running it through latex will compress the pdf - but this post nicely summarizes some options:

http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/help/07/05/17475.html

I personally prefer the pdftk approach* over the ghostscript option**  as the latter seems to give me a number of problems on Windows XP.

*if you install pdftk (and put it in your search path), after you create filename.pdf with pdf(), do
pdftk filename.pdf cat output newfilename.pdf compress
or
pdftk filename.pdf cat output newfilename.pdf compress dont_ask

**if you have ghostview installed (and in your search path),
bitmap("filename.pdf",type="pdfwrite")
plot(...)
dev.off()