[R] post hoc tests two way repeated measures anova

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Sat Aug 16 11:30:21 CEST 2008

Jean-Pierre Bresciani <bresciani <at> tuebingen.mpg.de> writes:

> is there a specific/appropriate function/package to perform post hoc tests
> when running a two way repeated measures anova? I'm looking for something
> that will be equivalent to the 'TukeyHSD()' for between subjects anova (with
> 'aov()'). For one way repeated measures anova, the 'pairwise.t.test()'
> function seems to work correctly but the results are questionable for two+
> way anovas, as if the adjustment of the p values for multiple comparisons
> was not correct.

Classical repeated measurement has fallen a bit out of favor, because mixed
models as in lme (package nlme) and lmer(package lme4) are MUCH more flexible
and in general more stable when data are missing.

So I recommend to switch to lme (better documented, currently), and use

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/20725.html

as a starter when trying to do multiple comparisons.

Dieter Menne (Tübingen)