[R] Axes in filled.contour plots

hippie dream tonightsthenight at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 23:28:22 CEST 2008

I am still struggling on how edit axes on a filled contour plot. I have
managed to figure out how to place labels on the key of this graph but how
to place the axes I want on this plot still eludes me. This command produces
the plot I am looking for however as mentioned before these axes only go
from 0 to 1.

> filled.contour(contour, frame.plot=TRUE, color=terrain.colors)

If I try to set the xlim and ylim the plot itself no longer appears but
simply the key. Moreover, when I set the limits and add the axes in this way
the axes spill over into the key.

> axis(side=1, at=c(10, 30, 50, 70, 90, 110, 130, 150, 170, 190))

Is there any way to manually replace the given axis label with one of my
choosing? That is, the 0 to 1 labels will correspond easily to the labels I
would like to place on the graph. The tick marks are conveniently already in
the right place. For example, can I make 0.6 appear as 100 instead? I don't
really need to change the axis at all but rather just the labels.I have
spent considerable time trying to figure this out but I am still having
trouble. Sorry if this is ridiculously simple.

Sam