[R] before-after control-impact analysis with R

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 18 10:53:55 CEST 2008

Hi Nikolaos,

>> My question again is: Why can't I reproduce the results? When I try a
>> simple anova without any random factors:

Lack of a "right" result probably has to do with the type of analysis of
variance that is being done. The default in R is to use so-called Type I
tests, for good reason. SAS, I think, still uses a type of test that many
authorities consider to be meaningless, as a general, first-level, test.

There is a long, long thread on this, going back to about approx April/May
1999, when a suitable Ripplyism was coined, which I believe found its way
into the fortunes package. But

RSiteSearch("type III")

should do for a start. Also see

?drop1