[R] another GARCH problem

Yohan Chalabi chalabi at phys.ethz.ch
Tue Aug 19 16:24:56 CEST 2008

   C> Hallo,
   C> i want to fit a GARCH model with a extern regressor (without arma
   C> components), so i found the following function in package fGarch. I tryed
   C> out a lot of things but usually I get this Error.
   C>
   C> > garchFit(formula=y~x, formula.var=~garch(1,1),data=w)
   C> Error in .garchFit(formula.mean, formula.var, series = x, init.rec, delta,
   C> :
   C>   Algorithm only supported for mci Recursion
   C>
   C> I think i use the function the wrong way, but cannot find my mistake. Can
   C> somebody help me?

it looks like one of the depended package of fGarch has a change which
breaks garchFit. I would recommend you to use the development version.

If you have R (>=2.7.0) and everything installed in order to compile a
package, you can use the following command to install the development
version of the fGarch package.

source("http://rmetrics.r-forge.r-project.org/installRmetrics.R")
installRmetrics("fGarch", repos = "http://r-forge.r-project.org")

but bear in mind that this is development code. So if you have any
suggestion how to improve it, please let us know it!

hope this helps,
Yohan

--
PhD student