[R] FYI: APL in R

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Wed Aug 20 08:52:35 CEST 2008

http://idisk.mac.com/jdeleeuw-Public/utilities/apl/apl.R

Dedicated to the IBM 2741.

Implemented for general multidimensional arrays:

drop, take, reshape, shape, rank, select, generalized inner product,
generalized
outer product, representation, base value, join, expand, reduce, scan,
member of, ravel, compress, tranpose, rotate

Basically, the APL-I part is complete, and after some testing
and clean-up this will be 1.0. In the code there is a small section
explaining the relation between aplTP(), the APL transpose
function, and the (less general but more natural) aperm() from R.

I may decide to add some extensions from APL-X, APL-2, J,
Sharpe APL, APL 2000, Dyalog APL, later on. In any case, the
current code adds a lot of array operations (and even matrix and vector
operations) to R.

Although this is all prefix and no infix, we could easily
recreate some of the infamous APL one-liners that nobody
can possibly understand or reproduce.

      Jan de Leeuw, 11667 Steinhoff Rd, Frazier Park, CA 93225
      home 661-245-1725 mobile 661-231-5416 work 310-825-9550
      .mac: jdeleeuw +++  aim: deleeuwjan +++ skype: j_deleeuw