[R] Windows Vista, Rterm & LeftAlt + Tab issue

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 21 08:18:07 CEST 2008

Hi,

my Rterm does not longer take key presses after I have pressed Left
Alt+Tab in order to switch away from an active Rterm window.  I have
found a way to get Rterm to "respond" again.  I basically have to kill
the process.

This occurs on a fresh Windows Vista Business 32-bit installation
(with all recent MS updated installed; US locales), and with the
following R installations:

R version 2.7.1 Patched (2008-08-12 r46318)
R version 2.8.0 Under development (unstable) (2008-08-11 r46316)
R version 2.8.0 Under development (unstable) (2008-08-19 r46388)

More troubleshooting:
o It does not occur if I switch application by other means, e.g. using
the mouse, Win+Tab, and not even Right Alt+Tab.  It only occurs with
Left Alt+Tab.
o If I set a repeat{print(runif(1)} loop, press LAlt+Tab and goes
back, the loop is still running and I can stop it with Ctrl+C, but
after that I cannot type anything.  It does not work to paste from the
clipboard either.  I have tried to change the Properties of the
Windows Command Console, but no success.
o I have tried to deactived (unchecked "Enable Desktop Composition")
the new style Vista:s application switcher.
o Rterm --vanilla, of course. No difference.
o Same problem with %R_HOME%/bin/R.exe.
o Rgui.exe works fine.

Has anyone else observed this, or knows what goes on?

/Henrik (Windows Vista beginner)