[R] Very confused with class

Dan Davison davison at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 22 11:47:47 CEST 2008

Hi Rich,

Richard M. Heiberger wrote:

> Dan,
>
> The real problem is the use of csv files.  csv files don't handle missing
> values
> ("#VALUE" is most likely from Excel), dates, or other complications very
> well.
>
> Read your Excel file directly into
> R with one of the packages designed specifically for that purpose.  I
> recommend
> RExcel (Windows only) which allows complete two-way communication between
> and Excel.
> Missing values and dates are handled correctly.
> You can download the RExcelInstaller package from CRAN.

I'm sure RExcel is an excellent technology. However, it is an unnecessarily
complex technology in this instance. What I was trying to do was help the
original poster read in tabular data stored in a standard text format, which
is a fundamental skill for any R programmer. In general, I would encourage
people (beginners especially) to avoid the use of hi-tech solutions, when
simple text-based solutions suffice. But when people do need to have more
sophisticated integration of R and e.g. Excel, it's nice that the tools
exist.

Dan