[R] Writing Rcmdr Plugins

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Fri Aug 22 22:10:02 CEST 2008

Bernhard and Irina,

While tailoring the Rcmdr menu directly does work, I strongly do not
recommend it.  It will lead to mass confusion, most likely for the author,
several
months from now when it is installed on a different machine or when R or
Rcmdr is updated.

It is much cleaner to have a separate package.  It is also much easier to
write and maintain
a separate package than it is to edit the original Rcmdr-menus.txt.  While
the startup cost to
the author of writing an RcmdrPlugin.xxx is about the same as the cost for
modifying Rcmdr
itself, the maintenance is fantastically simpler for a Plugin package.

It is clear to the user of a Plugin package that your changes are not the
original.
When you modify the original Rcmdr, users will not be told explicitly that
they are using
a modified version.  That will lead to confusion on this list.

I distribute a Plugin (RcmdrPlugin.HH) on CRAN.  I originally distributed it
as a modification of
the Rcmdr.  John Fox invented plugins partially as a result of my
experience.  It is much
better for both of us have a clear separation of his responsibilities as
designer of the
Rcmdr, and mine as designer of several specific functions.

Rich