[R] R for Windows GUI closes when I try to read.spss

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Aug 25 21:29:59 CEST 2008

Roderick Harrison wrote:
> ** High Priority **

Well to you, it is...

In general people on this list are happy to help, but you need to supply
them with something to go on, and there is just nothing here. At the
very least, we'd need version numbers and preferably an example of a
file that cannot load. On the off-hand guess that you might not have
installed R 2.7.2 yet, you might want to try that since it has a couple
of changes in read.spss relative to the foreign package from 2.7.1.
> I have been trying to read an SPSS file into R using
>
> read.spss ("C:/Documents and Settings/Roderick Harrison/My
> Documents/RWORK/ihisdat.sav", use.value.labels = TRUE, to.data.frame =
> FALSE,  max.value.labels = 500, trim.factor.names = FALSE, trim_values =
> TRUE, reencode = NA, use.missings = to.data.frame)

use.missings needs to be TRUE or FALSE, though. It _defaults_ to the
same as to.data.frame.