[R] Two envelopes problem

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Aug 25 23:34:28 CEST 2008

I think it is like the girl problem, it is a matter of what you condition on (condition on at least 1 girl, or on a specific one being a girl).

In your simulations (at least from what I can see), you generate an x from a distribution, randomize the order of x and 2x, then look at the average of env1 and the average of env2, but you never condition on the information you get from env1, so you are answering a different problem.

Try this code:

tmpfun <- function() {
        x <- sample( c(5,10), 1 )
        x2 <- 2*x
        sample( c(x,x2) )
}

out1 <- replicate( 100000, tmpfun() )
mean( out1[2, out1[1,] == 10] )
sum(  out1[1,] == 10 )

Here we first generate the data such that one of the envelopes will have 10, then only look at the cases where env1 is 10, the average of env 2 in this case is about 12.5.

Now if we look at choosing env2 first:

mean( out1[1, out1[2,] == 10] )

We still have a mean of switching of about 12.5 (the paradox).

The first envelope gives us information which changes the problem.  You are looking at the problem from the start, without the information, not conditioning on that information.

Imagine a situation where you have 4 cards, 2 black and 2 red.  You shuffle the cards and randomly draw one out and place it face down in front of you (all backs are identical, probability of choosing each card is 1/4).  Sitting at the table are 3 of your friends, you show friend #1 that one of the cards still in your hand (chosen randomly) is black, you show friend #2 that one of the cards in your hand (chosen randomly) is red, friend #3 sees none of your cards and they do not share any information about what they see.  Now you ask them to each write down the probability that the face down card is black.  Friend #1 will write down 1/3, #2 will write 2/3, and friend #3 will write 1/2.  They are all looking at the same face down card, but each has different information to condition on (and if we simulate each friends case, we will find that their probabilities are correct for their knowledge).

The 2 envelope case is a subset of a large problem.  Assume that there are n envelopes each with a different value in them (you know nothing about the distribution of the values).  You can open an envelope and see what is inside, then either keep that amount (and the game ends), or chose another envelope, but once you choose to open a new envelope you can never go back to a previous one.  The goal is to determine a strategy that will maximize your expected winings.  The best strategy that I have heard (I saw the proof once, but don't remember the details) is to open about 1/3 of the envelopes (actually I think it was 1/e or maybe 1/pi, but 1/3 is a good approximation to both of those), then continue opening envelopes until the first one that is greater than the maximum of the 1st 1/3 and stop there (or stop at the last envelope if the maximum was in that first 1/3).  As far as I know, nobody has come up with a better strategy yet (and some math people may have proven it is the best possible).  Without any knowledge you don't know if the first envelope is high or low, but by opening the 1st 1/3 you get information that helps form the rest of the strategy.  If n=2 (your 2 envelope case), then 1/3 of 2 rounds off to 1, select the first envelope, then go on to the next (which in this case also happens to be the last).  Always switching follows this same strategy.

It is paradoxical, but in real life (and in your simulations) we generally have more information than what is in the puzzle.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org