[R] Two envelopes problem

Mark Leeds markleeds at verizon.net
Tue Aug 26 15:51:52 CEST 2008

Duncan: I think I see what you're saying but the strange thing is that if
you use the utility function log(x) rather than x, then the expected values
are equal. Somehow, if you are correct and I think you are, then taking the
log , "fixes" the distribution of x which is kind of odd to me. I'm sorry to
belabor this non R related discussion and I won't say anything more about it
but I worked/talked  on this with someone for about a month a few years ago
and we gave up so it's interesting for me to see this again.

                                           Mark