[R] Two envelopes problem

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Tue Aug 26 19:12:38 CEST 2008

  Duncan: Just one more thing which Heinz alerted me to. Suppose that we
changed the game so that instead of being double or half of X,
we said that one envelope will contain X + 5 and the other contains X-5.
So someone opens it and sees 10 dollars. Now, their remaining choices
are 5 and 15 so the expectation of switching is the same = 10.  So, in
this case, we don't know the distribution of X and yet the game is fair.
This is
why , although I like your example, I still think the issue has
something to do with percentages versus additions.

In finance, the cumulative return is ( in non continuous time )  over
some horizon  is a productive of the individual returns over whatever
intervals
you want to break the horizon into. In order to make things nicer
statistically ( and for other reasons too like making the assumption of
normaility somkewhat more plausible ) , finance people take the log of
this product in order to to transform the cumulative return  into an
additive measure.
So, I think there's still something going on with units as far as adding
versus multiplying ? but I'm not sure what and I do still see what
you're saying in
your example. Thanks.

Mark