[R] averaging pairs of columns in a dataframe

JonD jonathan.denniss at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 27 15:47:20 CEST 2008

Dear all,

I have a dataframe with 132 columns and 100 rows.  Every 2nd column is a
repeat measurement so that the columns could be titled, a a b b c c d d etc.
I would like to average the repeats such that I am left with a data frame of
66 columns (of means) and 100 rows.

I have been trying to use rowMeans but have not been able to average the
pairs of columns, only the whole dataframe.

Any help would be appreciated, I am new to R.

Thanks in advance,

Jon.