[R] Upgrading R means I lose my packages

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Aug 28 04:40:40 CEST 2008

On 28/08/2008, at 2:02 PM, James Milks wrote:

> The title says it all.  Does anyone know of a way to save your
> packages when you upgrade to a new version of R?  This may seem
> petty, but I'm accumulating enough packages that having to download
> and install each of them anew every time I install a new version of
> R is rather of a pain.  Ideally, I would like the new version of R
> to recognize the packages I've installed on the previous version
> without needing to reinstall the packages.  Is that possible?
>
> My system: Mac OS 10.5.4.
> Current R version: 2.7.1

Mac OS moves in mysterious ways, but apparently your installation
moves in more mysterious
ways than most.

I also (by necessity, not by choice) run Mac OS.  But I certainly
don't lose my
packages when I update R.  The new version of R certainly
``recognizes'' the packages
that I have installed.  No action required.

There may be something funny about *where* you have your packages
installed, and
what environment variables you have set.

To answer your question ``Is that possible?'' --- Yes.  Not just
possible,
but universal.  Except, it would seem, in your case.  What have you done
to offend the gods? :-)

	cheers,

		Rolf Turner