[R] Tidying up code - Warning message: deparse may be incomplete

Marie Pierre Sylvestre MP.Sylvestre at epimgh.mcgill.ca
Thu Aug 28 16:46:08 CEST 2008

Dear R users,

I am currently writing a R package and to do so I am following the
guidelines in manual 'Writing R extensions'.

In Section 3.1, it is suggested to tidy up the code using a file
containing the following:
options(keep.source = FALSE)
source("myfuns..R")
dump(ls(all = TRUE), file = new.myfuns.R")

I have done this for my own packages and although it runs, I get several
warnings of the type:

Warning message:
In dump(ls(all = TRUE), file = "PermAlgo.R") : deparse may be incomplete

I am clueless as to what this means.

Even if I try to tidy only one function from my code, I get the warning.

E.g. the file lala.R contains only this:
partialHazards <- function(t, v, covArray, betas){   exp( covArray[v,t,]
%*% betas ) }

the file tidylala.R contains:

options(keep.source = FALSE)
source("lala.R")
dump(ls(all = TRUE), file = "newlala.R")

On Linux I run:

R --vanilla < tidylala.R

Then I obtain:

Warning message:
In dump(ls(all = TRUE), file = "newlala.R") : deparse may be incomplete

The file newlala.R looks like this:

`partialHazards` <-
function (t, v, covArray, betas)
{
    exp(covArray[v, t, ] %*% betas)
}

What does the warning mean? Can I simply ignore it?

thanks,

MP